Child Custody & Removal Cases in Massachusetts

Anyone will tell you that the best thing for a child is to have both parents actively involved in their lives. It’s a common sense statement for those who have had the benefit of both parents being actively involved in their lives, as well as for those who have not.

Unfortunately, the ideal of two parents being equally involved in their child’s life after a divorce or break-up of the family unit is not always realistic. It can be unrealistic for a number of reasons, but the most difficult situation I see on a regular basis is where one parent needs or wants to move out of the state for financial reasons, like a new job, or to be with a new spouse.

These types of cases are called removal cases, and they are some of the most difficult cases for families as well as family law attorneys. The removal statute M.G.L. c.208 s. 30 states that:

“A minor child of divorced parents who is a native of or has resided five years within this commonwealth and over whose custody and maintenance a probate court has jurisdiction shall not, if of suitable age to signify his consent, be removed out of this commonwealth without such consent, or, if under that age, without the consent of both parents, unless the court upon cause shown otherwise orders. The court, upon application of any person in behalf of such child, may require security and issue writs and processes to effect the purposes of this and the two preceding sections.”

The statute makes it unlawful to remove a child from Massachusetts without the consent of the other parent or by order of the court. Although the statute does not specifically address removal where the parents were never married those children are afforded the same protection as children of married parents and therefore subject to the same rules regarding removal.

They key to analyzing the likelihood of a parent’s request to remove a child from the Commonwealth hinges on the meaning of “upon cause shown”. The courts have interpreted this language to mean that there must be a real advantage to the requested move and that it be in the child’s best interest. The type of custody you have will also dictate how this matter is decided.

Removal – Custodial Parent

Where one parent has primary physical custody of the child the courts will do a two-part analysis in deciding issues of removal. The first part of the test is looking to see whether the custodial parent is requesting a move for a good and sincere reason, and whether or not that move will result in a real advantage to the custodial parent. The second part of the test, if the first part is satisfied is to decide if the move is in the child’s best interest.

Removal – Joint Custody

For parents who share joint physical custody of their child the analysis is only whether or not the move is in the child’s best interest. While on its face this analysis appears to be easier it is actually a much harder standard to meet. In this scenario the court gives much more deference to the non-requesting parent’s interest in maintaining their relationship with their child, and much less weight is given to the advantage that would accrue from the move to the parent who is requesting removal.

Removal – Unwed Parents

As I mentioned the removal analysis is based on what type of custody you have, however, one additional factor that unwed parents must be aware of is that unless you have established paternity then legally the mother is the only one who has any custody of the child and can remove the child from the state without your permission.


Whether you are an unwed parent of a child, divorced or still technically married you should not remove your child from the Commonwealth without first getting permission from the other parent. Even if it is technically legal, removing your child without permission could result in an adverse custody decision later on.

Removal cases are difficult cases to win and unlike other family law cases they go to trial frequently. If you are considering a move out of state or seeking to prevent a child from being removed you should consult a family law attorney who can review the facts of your case and help you start planning how you are going to handle your case.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Child Custody & Removal Cases in Massachusetts

  1. Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this web site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and just couldn’t come across. What a great site.

  2. Pretty portion of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to say
    that I acquire actually enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing on your feeds or even I achievement
    you access constantly fast.

  3. Thank you for sharing the breakdown of information. It was really informative.

  4. Excellent blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little
    lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid
    option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any ideas? Thanks!

  5. Ok so I posted earler and don’t want to be told I’m a unfit mother because I’m not. My x husband got custody after I took my daughter and moved from ca to tx to leave him and the domestic violence situation he was putting me thro he filed and got physical custody with joint legal because he said she was born in ca and should stay in ca once he had custody he moved to or he has been denying me my visatation so I filed a police report on that and keeps her medical from me I got her medical records and found she went to the hospital twice in 4 month for head injerys. He never took her for follow ups like told to by er. I filed a emergency child custody order and a contempt of court for him breaking the court order. I’m willing to move back to ca if that means having her back. What are my chances my emergncey order will be granted. N my declaration I included ecad acne such as texts for him denying me visatation, medical records and police report information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>